Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-File 1040X - PDF Attachments

mshakowski
Level 2

Lacerte recently added e-File functionality for 1040X Amended Federal returns beginning with tax year 2019.

When these returns are e-Filed, is the full 1040 return sent to the IRS in the e-File process? Does it also include the PDF attachments? 

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
BobKamman
Level 15

Why would the full 1040 return be sent to IRS?  it's not sent the first time around.  it's all just 1's and 0's.  They can convert it into something that sort of looks like a 1040, if they need to.  

0 Cheers
mshakowski
Level 2

I was wondering if the information from the amended 1040 is provided to the IRS with the 1040X. This would be different from just the information on the 1040X being sent to the IRS. 

0 Cheers
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

I think you can count on the whole amended 1040 being e-filed with the 1040X form.

Back when it was only accepted via paper-filing, the IRS wouldn't accept just the 1040-X form, they wanted the whole as amended return.

Therefore, I'd presume IRS and Lacerte would have set it up to e-file the whole thing.

You don't need to "attach" the amended 1040 as a separate PDF when you e-file.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
0 Cheers
mshakowski
Level 2

That's what I am hoping occurs. I am also hoping any PDF support would be sent in as well. 

I agree it seems likely Lacerte would function this way. I was just wondering if there was any official Lacerte guidance noting this is the case. 

0 Cheers
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Lacerte doesn't usually provide those nuances of confirmation for our comfort.  🙂  Take comfort that even if something doesn't get sent in, it's usually fixable.  Annoying, but fixable.  Hang in there.

And yes, if you do separately attach any PDF support (like a 1099-B) it will be sent in, even with the amended return.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Back when it was only accepted via paper-filing, the IRS wouldn't accept just the 1040-X form, they wanted the whole as amended return.'

No they didn't. They wanted the forms and schedules that changed.

Although many sent the whole as amended return.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@mshakowski wrote:

That's what I am hoping occurs. I am also hoping any PDF support would be sent in as well. 

I agree it seems likely Lacerte would function this way. I was just wondering if there was any official Lacerte guidance noting this is the case. 

Lacerte, like other similar professional tax products, has been determined by the IRS to meet the MeF Schema and will transmit whatever the IRS requires for e-filed 1040X.  What it sends is transparent to you and should be the least of your worries.  Intuit moderators had previously confirmed that much in this Community.

In case something needs to be manually attached, you should expect to be prompted by the diagnostic.  If there's any attachment you would like to submit with the 1040X, you should follow the same process to attach it as a PDF, like you do with the original return.

As Susan says, the IRS has always required only forms and schedules that are changed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
pat
Level 5

I am trying to e-file a 2019 1040 and getting an error that it is not allowed and must be paper filed. I recall, and this post mentions, that this changed late 2020. Does anyone know what version of software I need to do this?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
rootesrooter
Level 3

It is not transparent. Nowhere in the process can I find an indication that any or all forms as originally submitted will (or should) be included with the 1040X.  In attempting to attach pdf's, 1040X is not on the list of forms which can be attached to.

0 Cheers
guykanon
Level 2
When we paper file, we send just the 1040X, the "As Originally Filed" pages and the "As Amended" pages for only the pages that have changed. I am needing to do an amended return for a client, who had a previous accountant do the orignal return -- I prepared the return like I always have in the past -- taking some shortcuts for forms that don't change (vehicle and home office expenses). If we efile this return, will all forms go to IRS, including the Sch C and Form 8829, that aren't filled out like the original? It is important we know this for filing amended 1040s for clients that we didn't prepare the original. What forms go to IRS with an amended 1040? All forms? Just the ones with changes?
0 Cheers