Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Lacerte have the function that keeps the original e-filed tax return in somewhere?

LAzzzzz
Level 1

I was about to amend a tax return that has been e-field last year, so I unlocked the file and input everything that needs to be updated.  However, my client gave up the idea and I had to restore everything back.  So I need the original tax returns.

The problem is the only original e-filed tax returns that I can find are my own copies I printed/saved before I submitted to e-file, which is not very convenient and can't prove that what I e-filed is what I saved in my hard drive. 

Does Lacerte have such function to have the original e-filed tax returns saved in the software? or I just missed it?

Thanks~

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

Nope. You could restore from a backup before you "messed" with the return.

I usually create a copy when I do an amended return. 

Ex-AllStar
NTCLINDA
Level 3

I never mess with the original return.  I copy the return to a new number or use xxxorig (for original copy), or xxx-X (for amended return).  That way I keep the original file intact.  IF there is an REP issue due to changing numbers, they are supposed to not charge for REP again based on SS#.  What I do is use the amended return with the original #.  If I need to see the original after I changed the number. you can backup the return to another directory (20tax\orig, or 20tax\amended, for example) and change the client # back to the original number.  There are so many ways to accomplish this.

0 Cheers