Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does LACERTE adjust the partners' 199A for their own specific guarantee payments?

cynginger
Level 1

My partnership client has guarantee payments of widely disparate amounts between partners, depending upon the effort/services rendered each year.  I don't see LCT taking each individual partner's GPmts into account for their 199A QBI income shown on K-1 Box20Z. 

i do see a question previously ask, and answered by George4Tacks, but i don't understand how that applies to my situation.  do i need to manually calc and specially allocate the QBI to each partner in Lacerte?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Its unclear how you expect the GP to alter QBI - GP are deducted by the partnership prior to determining the ordinary income in box 1.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Its unclear how you expect the GP to alter QBI - GP are deducted by the partnership prior to determining the ordinary income in box 1.

0 Cheers
cynginger
Level 1
i'm willing to be wrong  =]  i thought each partner's distributiive share of 199A QBI would not be based on their profit/loss%, but instead, an amount allocable to them adjusted for their own GPmts. My idea was to gross up the Line 1 income, allocate based on P&Loss%, then deduct each partner's own GPmt.  otherwise, it seems inequitable: the higher paid GP partner will be allocated line 1 income, which DOES include the portion of her own GPmt absorbed by the other partners' P&Loss%

i need to see an example of how IRS accounts for the G.Pmts in calculating the 199A deduction, passed thru to each partner  looking now at IRS website
0 Cheers
cynginger
Level 1
i've been confusing Guarantee Pmts RECEIVED by the partnership with those PAID by the partnership; although it still doesn't seem equitable between the partners to me
0 Cheers
VP4531
Level 1

The concept of Guaranteed payments is that the partner that reciwvwed GP will get his money whether the business '/ partnership had a profit or loss.

So if your client has a loss, only one partner potentaillpy received GP while Partnerhsip Deducts.  The partner receiving the GP would pick up this as self employwmwnr income unless the partner is an SCORP member in an LLC

Pertnership deducts the GP on page of form 1065 and accounts rfor it on Sch K-1 so there's a deductions and offset income to pay portion of tax to IRS

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

huh?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers