Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Colorado not allow full rental loss carryforwards for non-residents?

jberrier
Level 1
My client is a full-year TX resident with a rental home in CO.  The rental property is the only CO-sourced income/expenses and the taxpayers are filing as full-year, non-residents for CO.  The rental loss for federal (Schedule E) is approximately -$42,000, which is being allowed in full (for Federal) due to income from disposing of another rental in TX.

On CO DR-104PN, line 17 the Colorado-source income (loss) is shown as -$25,000.  The total federal Schedule E loss reported on line 16 of DR-104PN is -$61,120.  

The general info tab shows a CO loss carryforward to 2022 of -$17,000 (-$42,000 loss on that property, less $25,000).  So, it appears as though a potential -$25,000 CO rental loss carryforward is basically being wasted.  Is this correct?  I don't understand why it is "using" a loss carryforward when there is no other CO income for it to be used against.

Interestingly, when I did an experiment and specified that the rental was "not as passive activity" it wasted the entire -$42,000 rental loss (for CO) with no carryforward.  It seems odd that a passive activity would actually be beneficial here, in that it is carrying forward losses in excess of the $25,000 passive limit.
0 Cheers