Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone need my "Not Applicable per New Law" custom stamp, red ink?

kthcpa
Level 1

Since there's no way to omit the now-defunct Misc Deductions section of itemized (maybe some states still allow?) when printing organizers, we ordered a custom stamp to mark that section  "NOT APPLICABLE PER NEW LAW" in a nice font, ~3" wide and in red. (See attached scan of imprint.)  We don't want our clients to waste time filling that out, or to expect to get the deduction if they haven't thoroughly read our notes on the cover page. 🙂 

We're done stamping our organizers and thought someone else might like to use it, at a lower cost and faster turnaround than ordering their own.  Paid Office Depot $70 but would be happy to recoup a little of that - $20 plus cost to send.  See image attached.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Keep it, you will probably still need it next year.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

Keep it, you will probably still need it next year.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
kthcpa
Level 1
Well, I hope you're wrong on that! But I shouldn't hold my breath, you say? 🙂
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

There are many states that have not conformed...so calling those "defunct" is a bit extreme.  I just added a line in the questionnaire stating "most n/a for Fed, but still apply for State...".

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
kthcpa
Level 1
Okay, gotcha...Most of the state returns our firm prepares are Tennessee, on interest & dividends only, so misc deductions never applied.  (I guess our CPAs will just ask individually for that info from any given client who does have to file in a state where they  matter.)  Thanks, abctax55.
0 Cheers
kthcpa
Level 1
And it sounds like your clients pay more attention to details in the questionnaire than a lot of ours do! :smile:  :smile:
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Only because I have browbeat them to death over the decades :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And I'm in CA...so those *defunct* deductions are going to be significant for a LOT of my clients.
Have a great filing season.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Hang onto it, as you will likely need it next year. 

Years ago I had a stamp made that said "HUH?" I still use it. I was particularly useful when the client received two letters from IRS. One said "Here is your refund" and the other said "We think you owe us ..." Both dated the same date and both from the same IRS center. I also used it on some client communications, but I seldom showed that to the client. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
kthcpa
Level 1
George, I missed your answer to my question until just now...I LOVE it...AND I *hate* the fact that the IRS story doesn't surprise me much at all. Just might have to get a stamp like that one myself. :smile::smile:
0 Cheers