Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between e-file complete and federal accepted

Janet910
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KMB14
Level 3

Federal accepted means the return has been filed and accepted by the IRS, but you have not printed the e-File Acceptance Letter. e-File Complete means you have completed all steps in the filing process - including printing the acceptance letter. 

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
KMB14
Level 3

Federal accepted means the return has been filed and accepted by the IRS, but you have not printed the e-File Acceptance Letter. e-File Complete means you have completed all steps in the filing process - including printing the acceptance letter. 

Janet910
Level 1
I appreciate your reply but I did print the e-file acceptance letters for all of our clients that we have e-filed so that would not be the case for us.  We only have 5 that indicate e-file complete and the date completed is over a month after they were accepted and their e-file acceptance letters were printed.  It is very odd.  Lacerte support says that they have no explanation for this other than it's the way it is encrypted at the end of the day.  I do not even know what they mean by that.
0 Cheers
KMB14
Level 3
Hm, that IS very odd. Once you print the acceptance letter the status should always switch to e-file complete. There are some instances where the status gets "stuck", and you have to manually update it by going to e-File --> Step 3: e-File Acknowledgement Statuses --> Update Acknowledgement Status for Selected Return(s), but I've never had that happen to more than one file at a time...I will tag a few Lacerte folks below and see if they can help out here.
0 Cheers
KMB14
Level 3
0 Cheers
Janet910
Level 1
Wow!  You have just taught me something about lacerte I was not aware of in all the years I have been e-filing returns.  I figured out that once you go through the steps you indicate above the client will then have e-file complete status.  The interesting thing is that I have never printed client acceptance letters in all the years I have been e-filing.  We have only printed the e-file activity reports once a client's federal and state returns have been accepted and we do so by clicking on the icon on the tool bar.  So I still have no idea why only 6 of our clients would have e-file complete if I am the only one who processes the e-files and I only print the activity reports.  I guess I will just chalk it up to a fluke.  I appreciate your time.
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee
@KMB14 thank you for tagging me @Janet910 welcome to the community and thank you for posting your question. I have to clarifying something... In your first paragraph you stated that you have printed the e-file acceptance letter, however, in the last one you stated that you have never printed the client acceptance letter, but the e-file activity report. If the e-file activity report is printed, it will not change the e-file status column. You have to print the e-file acceptance letter in order for this column to change. Here is a knowledge base article that we have on this:

Printing E-file Acceptance Letters in the Lacerte Tax Program
https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1607829&src=lsccom

I personally have never seen this column not change when printing the e-file acceptance letter. It could be that the client database need to be updated or it could be that Windows Sync Center is turned on and this is causing it not to update.

You could try and update the client database to see if that helps:

How to update client database with proper amounts when detail has changed
https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1607881&src=lsccom

Here is how to check on Windows Sync Center:

Windows Sync Center with Lacerte and ProSeries
https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1608557&src=lsccom

Hope this helps and I hope you both have a great weekend!
0 Cheers
Janet910
Level 1
In my initial question I was not aware of the "e-file acceptance letter" as a separate item from the "e-file activity report" which for me was the acceptance.  We have never printed e-file acceptance letters so I am still perplexed as to why any of our clients would have the e-file complete status.  Thank you for your responses.
0 Cheers
COOP8687
Level 2

but i have a couple that still show "e-file complete" after printing the ack letter...

0 Cheers
COOP8687
Level 2

I've done that too, and more than once for a client - and it still shows "e-file accepted"

Now what?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
@Kathi_at_Intuit This is a very useful response, but two of your three links no longer exist. Could you please find the new ones and edit this post to make it useful again.
Thank you,

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers