Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciated rental condo building (exclusive land) from $86,012 to $60,082. Per Tax statement Current Building value is $128,670. How is the recapture value taxed?

Laszlo
Level 1
How do you calculate tax on real estate recapture value?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
abctax55
Level 15

huh? 

Has the condo SOLD for that $ 128,670?

And I 'm not familiar with this *recapture value* thingy you are referring to.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Rigo
Level 2

You continue depreciating the condo building based on its original cost of $86,012, ignoring its property tax assessed value and fair market value.

Laszlo
Level 1

Selling rental condo for $240,000. Bought it for $114,683. Bought it in 1989, selling in 2021.

1.At what capital tax rate is the gain/profit of $125,317 taxed? Is the gain capital gains?

2. Is the depreciated value considered income? Do you add it to the sale price?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

20% (max rate on capital gains, but beware of impact on other income)

No

And.....

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

( Generic Comment )"
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Whether it is 20%, 10%, or 25% depends on the owner's tax rates.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-8949/help/entering-a-bulk-sale-of-assets-in-lacerte/00/...

should get you there. Sell the building and the land and any other assets that go with the what I assume is a rental. If you don't have land listed with method of 99 (no depreciation) then there is a step to adjust the basis.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

The profit is more than 125,317. The basis is reduced by the depreciation.

Ex-AllStar
Laszlo
Level 1

I plan a 1031 Exchange for a property of equal or greater value> Can the former property appreciation and depreciation carried forward to new like kind property?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Start a new question and provide some more info.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Laszlo 

Here are the Help articles you need for this program:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-8949/help/how-do-i-enter-a-like-kind-exchange-section-1...

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/federal-taxes/help/entering-a-like-kind-exchange-1031-exchan...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
abctax55
Level 15

@Laszlo 

ARE you a tax pro?

( Generic Comment )"