Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependent care benefits

KYCPA100
Level 1
W-2 reports $3,000 in Box 10. The $3.000 is a employee elected contribution to a Flexable Spending Account. The $3,000 was spent for dependent care of a 1 year old child. Taxpayer has $250,000 of adjusted gross income on a joint return. Lacerte program is treating the $3,000 as an addition to taxpayers wages. Is this correct.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Probably not.

Look at 2441, page 2 = Lines 12, 13 and 25 should be 3,000,  Line 26 =0 

Best guess is you screwed up the input. Verify date of birth of the child. Be sure you gave all the information in Screen 33

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Give full detail in your question. If an answer is not helpful, add a comment that will aid in determining why it is not helpful. You will typically get answers from other volunteer users that are trying to be helpful, during their busy day. You need to be helpful to get to the right answer. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

Probably not.

Look at 2441, page 2 = Lines 12, 13 and 25 should be 3,000,  Line 26 =0 

Best guess is you screwed up the input. Verify date of birth of the child. Be sure you gave all the information in Screen 33

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Give full detail in your question. If an answer is not helpful, add a comment that will aid in determining why it is not helpful. You will typically get answers from other volunteer users that are trying to be helpful, during their busy day. You need to be helpful to get to the right answer. 

George4Tacks
Level 15

Maybe? 

Is taxpayer single? Married? Does spouse work? Is the 1 year old child a dependent of the taxpayer?

Did the preparer do the input for 2441 properly?

itonewbie
Level 15
Why not helpful?  These are legit questions that need to be asked.  We know now that the taxpayer is married filing jointly but we still don't have the other pieces of the puzzle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
MyNameIsLisa
Level 1

KYCPA100

I am having the same problem.  How did you solve it?  There should be a place that says amount of 2019 Dependent Care Benefits that was used in 2019 for child care.  I think there is a glitch in the system.  Lines 13 and 14 do not apply.  There is a line missing.  I can force it to work by putting an amount in lines 13 or 14, but is it going to carry over to 2020.  I do not want to have to deal with this again next year, by just trying to make the problem go away this year.  

0 Cheers
MyNameIsLisa
Level 1

I take back my previous statement.  I marked the spouse's W2 as the taxpayer's W2.  When I corrected this, my Form 2441 did not calculate the dependent care benefit as taxable.  My Form 2441 is now correct and the child tax credit is calculating as it should be.