Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete for this year vs delete for next year

StknCPA
Level 4

Many input items in Lacerte have a box where you can enter 1 to delete for this year or 2 for delete next year. When I use these codes, I get the response I expect for this year: with 1, the items do not show up this year, with 2, they do.

I am not sure I am getting the response I expect in next year's organizer and pro forma. I thought that both of these codes would remove the item from next year's organizer and pro forma. Is this incorrect?

(I know I can actually delete the item from this year, but I have been using code 1 just in case I have to undelete that item. I had thought I was clever when I started using code 1 instead of actually deleting.)

Is this something that can be controlled in the pro forma process (whether or not a code 1 pro forma's)?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Both codes will remove it from next year's software.  You can test this by creating a dummy 2020 return (all 9's for the SSN), inputting 3 W-2's, populate one, mark one deleted this year, mark another delete next year.  pro forma the return.  Only the first one should show up in 2021.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*