Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cyrptocurrency 8824 Import

Highlighted

How do I import an excel spreadsheet of information for Form 8824 Like Kind Exchanges specifically for cryptocurrency.  The spreadsheet has 30,000 rows of information, so entering them individually is not an option.  There must be a way for the software to import this?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
Highlighted
Level 15

Not aware that there's a function to import for F.8824 as it's probably not anticipated that taxpayers would have a substantial number of transactions, unlike Sch D.

If the spreadsheet has all the details required for F.8824, you may consider attaching that to the form instead.

Needless to say that there are plenty of discussions about the (in)applicability of §1031 to crypto and possible pairing due to the lack of guidance and parallel interpretations of case law, especially in relation to coins, billions, and precious metals.  You are probably already aware and should consider whether a protective disclosure would be advisable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Presumably this is for a 2017 or prior return, or a 2018 return qualifying under the transition rules, too.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
:+1::+1:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Not necessarily an endorsement of Bradford, but this just popped into my in-box:

https://bradfordtaxinstitute.com/Content/IRS-Issues-New-Bitcoin-Tax-Guidance.aspx

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 10
Looks like it requires a login.  I'm guessing they're referring to this IRS release in October:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/virtual-currency-irs-issues-additional-guidance-on-tax-treatment-and-re...
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
It does...altho you can get one *visit* free just by providing an email.  Your ability to print the article is limited, but you can review it.  The ones I've tried (using multiple email address, LOL) haven't been overly impressive.  YMMV
Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
0 Cheers
Highlighted
The LKE’s should certainly be reported. Probably attach an 8275 disclosure but still have the software hurdle of easily uploading the data. Doesn’t seem to be an option.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 10
I don't know the specifics of Lacerte but presumably you could enter summary info into the software and manually attach a statement showing the 30K of transactions.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i8824--2017.pdf

"Multiple exchanges. If you made more
than one like-kind exchange, you can file a
summary on one Form 8824 and attach
your own statement showing all the
information requested on Form 8824 for
each exchange. Include your name and
identifying number at the top of each page
of the statement. On the summary Form
8824, enter only your name and identifying
number, “Summary” on line 1, the total
recognized gain from all exchanges on