Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a filter for pensions

darren-simpson
Level 1

Our checker has changed the input in Lacerte for the pensions box 2 on some returns to match the 1099-R box 2 to $0.  She did not realize that we entered the taxable portion of the distribution and it was not an error.  She does not remember which clients were affected nor how long she has been doing this.  I tried to set up a filter with the conditions to read: "Taxable Pensions is at least $0 and Taxable IRA... is at least $0".  But when I checked the filter it is not filtering out the clients I am trying to catch. 

Any help would be appreciated

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Does this actually affect the returns? -0- is not -0- in Lacerte, -1 is -0- in Lacerte.

As I recall, Lacerte treats it as all taxable unless you enter something else in taxable amount.

Of course I understand you want your files to be correct.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
George4Tacks
Level 15
I agree the filter/group seems to be broken
@Kathi_at_Intuit can you confirm?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee
@George4Tacks Morning!  Let me test it on my end and see.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Does this actually affect the returns? -0- is not -0- in Lacerte, -1 is -0- in Lacerte.

As I recall, Lacerte treats it as all taxable unless you enter something else in taxable amount.

Of course I understand you want your files to be correct.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Of course my recollection could be faulty.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee

I have tried multiple things in Lacerte and the best that I see so far is adding a column for Taxable Pension and Taxable IRA Distribution, have a filter for each where the condition is Taxable Pension is 0/Taxable IRA Distribution is 0. The good thing is that it will show you all the files that have 0, the bad thing is that it will show you all the files with 0 even those that do not have Pensions/IRAs because technically they are 0. You would have to go through and check each one to verify if it has a Pension/IRA or not. I am trying to see if we can put the information into a CSV file from the Client menu>Export, not 100% sure that this will help, but if we are, you would be able to use excel to filter it. 

Also, if the filters are pulling in ones with amounts, then this could mean that the client database needs to be updated.

0 Cheers
darren-simpson
Level 1
Is zero the same as null for the filters?
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee
I hope this helps, the program looks at the value of the Field Name (in this case it would Taxable Pensions) in each client's file and compares it to the Value specified in the filter which is 0 the program displays all clients with 0 (no amount or an actual 0 in the Taxable amount for screen 13.1)
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee
This now runs into another dilemma, I just tried to filter for a file that has 2 pensions in it, one with a taxable amount and the other none. The filter does not pick up the file with 2 pensions. Another filter would have to be added if you have this scenario in a file.
0 Cheers
darren-simpson
Level 1
Kathi, I guess we will have to check manually.  I appreciate your time.  If you think of a different way I would appreciate that.
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee
@darren.simpson what if you added a column to the Clients List that was for the Total IRA Received TP/SP and Total Pension Rcvd TP/SP? This way they would be able to check the returns that actually have Pensions and IRAs to see what the taxable amounts on them are.
0 Cheers
darren-simpson
Level 1
That is an excellent idea.  We did not think about the display columns.  Thank you
0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee
Welcome! I hope it helps... Teamwork wins. :smile::smile:
0 Cheers