Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cover Letter & State Estimated Tax Payments Electronically Withdrawn

chele18213620
Level 1

Cover letter does not state that State estimated tax payments will be electronically withdrawn even though set up to do so in Lacerte. It only lists that Federal will be. Makes it confusing to client unless we custom edit the letter which is a hassle to do on every client.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
GCOTLV
Level 2

This is a problem for us with Colorado estimated payments. I asked support about this last year, which was the first year we could make electronic payments for Colorado individuals and it still hasn't been fixed. 

0 Cheers
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Not all states allow electronic estimates especially with clients on extension.

Lacerte will not determine/verify this for you.

Intuit will allow you to set-up electronic estimates payment without Critical Diagnostic. Check all the possible boxes, force dates and amounts -- and even the Letter will change. And then... nothing. Client will need revert to mailing paper vouchers and manual checks. 

Be sure to check the FinTrans Summary in Forms to double check if electronic is possible. All electronic transactions scheduled will appear there. If it does not show Estimates, they're not an available option for that taxpayer.*

(*electronic payment, especially Estimates is fairly "new" for my firm, we tend to not change things until broken. If I am mistaken in my explanation, I beg leniency in your retaliation. I finally had enough of hand crafting out of state vouchers so I am now all in on electronic payments when possible! And I'm all for dropping out of state clients but that's another discussion.)

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
0 Cheers