Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting rental house to personal residence

Highlighted
Level 2

How do I save the passive loss carryover information for a rental house that has been converted to a personal residence?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 15

I use Screen 47 and record all the Passive Loss and depreciation information. 

I would enter the depreciation date of sale, with no sales price, just as @itonewbie indicated.

Do not enter either 1= delete this year or 2=delete next year in the entry right above income. That will allow the Passive loss info to carry into next year, which will give you a nice summary at the bottom of the rental schedule next year. Next year record it in the notes, then delete the rental. 

ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted
Level 15

In each of the assets, under Deposition, enter a date on the line for Date sold, disposed, or retired (MANDATORY) to retire the asset.  However, I believe the asset retired will not be rolled over to subsequent years, so you probably need to keep the info as part of the carryforward notes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

Thanks!  I appreciate the help!

Highlighted
Level 15

I use Screen 47 and record all the Passive Loss and depreciation information. 

I would enter the depreciation date of sale, with no sales price, just as @itonewbie indicated.

Do not enter either 1= delete this year or 2=delete next year in the entry right above income. That will allow the Passive loss info to carry into next year, which will give you a nice summary at the bottom of the rental schedule next year. Next year record it in the notes, then delete the rental. 

ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2

Thanks very much!

Highlighted
Level 15

We appreciate you twice as much for the two thank you messages! 😊

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar