Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients who filed MFJ in 2018 are now divorced. Both want me to prepare 2019. I don't think there is any way to have the program split the 2019 Organizer, is there?

hrrisoncpa
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

In the 2018 return under client info, select MFS comparison.  Make sure you tag all info as T or S. Go to forms, then the worksheet for the MFS comparison. There's a link to click to split the return (but only if there is a savings, I think..). You can then tweak the two files as necessary and generate organizers from there.  Make sure you have back up of the MFJ file...I don't the know if the file is changed, but I'm not sure.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

In the 2018 return under client info, select MFS comparison.  Make sure you tag all info as T or S. Go to forms, then the worksheet for the MFS comparison. There's a link to click to split the return (but only if there is a savings, I think..). You can then tweak the two files as necessary and generate organizers from there.  Make sure you have back up of the MFJ file...I don't the know if the file is changed, but I'm not sure.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
hrrisoncpa
Level 3
Thanks.  I can certainly force the MFJ/MFS comparison, but  I'm not sure I understand what "tweak the two files as necessary" means?
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Add or delete for the "other" spouse info if necessary.   Say if some interest income was tagged as joint in the original file....
It might not be necessary, unless one or the other is really p.o 'd at the divorce :smile:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
hrrisoncpa
Level 3
Got it.  Thanks very much.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
YVW.
( Generic Comment )"