Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client notification of e-file acceptance from IRS

Bronco
Level 2

Is there a setting for clients to get an auto notification of e-file acceptance?  My previous software did and trying to avoid a bunch of calls about filing status.

Thanks!  I am new user of Lacerte so I need all the help I can get!

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. Lacerte doesn't do that.

I've found clients don't care.

They assume all is good after they give me the signed efile forms.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Some folks look like they have clients that don’t seem to trust them all that much.  Once the client gets that signed 8879 back to me, they know I am going to get the return filed promptly - I’ve never had anyone ask me for proof that I filed their return.

Slava Ukraini!
Ed-Houston
Level 2

I thought cruise control was a waste of money the first time a buddy of mine had it in his car back in the early '70s. It is sometimes difficult to recognize the utility of something until you have used it. I know that UltraTax has the function for which the original poster inquired. It saved time and worries for me. The function required very little set up, and thereafter without requiring me to take any further action, it emailed the client their return had been accepted, emailing me a copy as well. By UltraTax automatically sending it, I did not have to retrieve acknowledgments, print and mail an acceptance letter, or create an email and send  a PDF. Further, if the return was rejected by the IRS, I as the return preparer got an email notification, again without having to take the extra step of retrieving acknowledgements. Typically for a reject, notice was received in an hour or two and I could quickly address the matter and resubmit the return promptly. As for clients having trust issues, I gather you don't send your clients any acknowledgement that their return has been accepted by the IRS. I for one on the other hand, choose to close the loop: client sends 8879, we receive it and process, the IRS accepts and client is notified. Every tax software has strengths and weaknesses. I for one would like to see an enhancement to Lacerte to add this functionality.

Alltax
Level 2

I print to PDF the acceptance letter and then upload it to my clients.  And yes, they are concerned about their status even after I have prepared their taxes for 30 some years.  It is just a really nice finish to the client experience, along with an electronic copy of their final filed return. 

User FIDO 61
Level 8

Don't your clients misplace, and/or throw-away all paperwork ever sent to them and consider you merely as an infinite filing cabinet able to regurgitate any document ever from their entirety at a moments notice? 

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪