Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client has gains from the sale of a Canadian stock. He also has a large foreign tax credit carryover. How do I report a foreign gain so it will be included on Form 1116?

bethbrake
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

If it's really foreign source, it'd be on Screen 35.1 and you may need to adjust for capital gain tax rate differentials.  But the real question is: Where is the taxpayer's tax home at the time of disposition?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
bethbrake
Level 2

Thank you for your response. My client is a resident of FL.  He is also reporting currency losses from the exchange between CA and the US.  There does not seem to be an intuitive place on Screen 35.1 - unless its other foreign source income. He did not have taxes CA withheld on the sale in CA of the stock - I am trying to increase his foreign source income to use his FTC carry forward. Therefore I don't think I need to make a capital gains adjustment .  I find the instructions to Form 1116 vague and confusing.  Thank you!

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@bethbrake wrote:

My client is a resident of FL.

But my question is not about tax residence but tax home.  Your client may be a tax resident of FL but the fundamental question is where your client's tax home was.

He did not have taxes CA withheld on the sale in CA of the stock

Whether foreign taxes were withheld is irrelevant.  Tax home is what determines whether gains/losses from stock sale and §988 transactions are US or foreign-source.

I am trying to increase his foreign source income to use his FTC carry forward. Therefore I don't think I need to make a capital gains adjustment .  I find the instructions to Form 1116 vague and confusing.

Did the sale of stock result in STCG?  If not, adjustment needs to be made to account for the tax differential unless certain conditions are met.  What is your technical basis for thinking that no adjustment would need to be made?

@bethbrake wrote:

He is also reporting currency losses from the exchange between CA and the US.

How did these foreign currency losses arise?  A bit more context would help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers