Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change client type from S-Corp to Partnership

bobburkett
Level 1

Is there a way to change a client type from an S-Corp to a Partnership....after the data is input into the return file?  Or do I need to start over again with data entry into the Partnership return.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

Short answer - No

Medium Answer - You can export depreciation from the S-Corp to a file, then import that file into the Partnership. That will at least save re entry of depreciation.

Long Answer - There is a tedious method of copying files from S to P, but the results are unpredictable.  I was on the old site and was not an authorized process, so the killed it. Short version create a P file. Exit program and copy the S file to the P file. Re enter the P program and edit the heck out of what you get. Not for the faint of heart.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
George4Tacks
Level 15

I just found some old notes and I tested this process. 

Note the S Corp client number – let’s say S005 FOR TAX YEAR 2021 where last digit of file is a 1.

Go to the partnership module and create a new client S005 and enter Screen 1 info.

Close Lacerte and open File Explorer and go to your data drive shown by X. X:>Lacerte>21tax>SDATA>DETAIL and locate S005.SD1

Copy that file

go to X:>Lacere>21tax>PDATA>DETAIL and paste that file S005.SD1

Rename P005.PD1 to P005.old

Rename S005.SD1 to S005.PD1

Now return to Lacerte and MOST OF YOUR DATA will now be in Partnership module. Review carefully. Not a perfect solution, but I think quicker than total re-entering of all data.

This same concept will work to go Partnership to S Corp

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers