Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot load old lacerte software 2010 -2012 Error message

shm33
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BRichardsCPA
Level 1

Here is what I did.

Make sure the folder exists first.  For instance, if you are attempting to download 2010, make sure the folder "10tax" is there.  Also, put the 2010 Prep file in that 10tax folder BEFORE you start the installation.

View solution in original post

19 Comments 19
abctax55
Level 15

You want us to guess the error message? 

If you tell us, *we* might be able to help.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Is it related to the preparer file?
( Generic Comment )"
shm33
Level 1
Sorry for being an idiot. My question lacked facts. Here is the error message. XML document must have a top level element: 0 error when installation Lacerte. Was on with two different Lacerte people who each logged onto my desktop. Unfortunately, I have to earn a living so after way to long neither solved the problem. Not exactly tip top support. I’ve been using Lacerte For 20 years easy. Thanks for any help.
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1860308-how-to-download-and-install-prior-year-lac... Which states:

How to download and install prior year Lacerte
  1. Sign in to My Account.
  2. Select Previous Years.
  3. Click on the desired year in the dropdown menu.
  4. Select the Download 20YY or Download Full CD Image button.
  5. Double-click on the downloaded file to run it.
  6. Follow the prompts on screen to complete the installation.

If you haven't installed this year of Lacerte on your computer before, you'll need to install a prep file, too.

But the years in question are at https://accountants.intuit.com/tax/lacerte/downloads/prior-year-downloads.jsp (Maybe, depending on how much Intuit breaks before you get there)

You can download prior year prep files through the current year product. Settings > Update Preparer Information

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
brianalanlang
Level 2

I have the same problem but strangely only for 2011 but not 2010 or 2012.  Nonetheless cannot install 2012 (which worked fine on my old Windows 7 machine).

@George4Tacksthis error occurs in the installation process so pasting instructions doesn't help.  You must have better things to do than this.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@brianalanlang have you tried the FORCE install? 

P.S. Thanks for helping me to manage my time. 

brianalanlang
Level 2

Yes but this is not the problem.  The installation wizard starts but the process doesn't finish because of the XML error.

On my machine which is a Windows 10 Microsoft Surface Pro, the installation works for 2010 and 2012 but not 2011.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@brianalanlang 

Sorry..that was my best shot at trying to help. I now have better things to do.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
jladd
Level 1

Did you ever resolve this? having same issue, all other Lacerte versions BUT 2011 loaded without incident on a WinSvr 2019 RDS machine. Same XML error you listed.

0 Cheers
brian_hoboken
Level 1

Of course not.  It is Intuit so don't provide support for programs older than 3 years.  I will eventually have to figure it out though.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@jladd @brian_hoboken  was there an error code number? Can you maybe do a screen capture to get the full error message and post it here? That could help to diagnose the problem. 

0 Cheers
jladd
Level 1

Capture.JPG

this displays after initial 'Next'

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@IntuitAustin could you look into this?

XML document must have a top level element

Line: 0 

hgarcia2003
Level 1

Solution that worked for me was to disable wifi/ethernet prior to installation.  Make sure you are installing from the CD image.

0 Cheers
hgarcia2003
Level 1

Solution that worked for me was to disable wifi/ethernet prior to installation.  Make sure you are installing from the CD image.

0 Cheers
BRichardsCPA
Level 1

Here is what I did.

Make sure the folder exists first.  For instance, if you are attempting to download 2010, make sure the folder "10tax" is there.  Also, put the 2010 Prep file in that 10tax folder BEFORE you start the installation.

JonB
Level 1

Your solution worked for me.

impulsiveacct
Level 1

This also worked for me for 2012.  Thank you!

Alxx
Level 1

The reason you are getting that error is due to the previous year's Prep file from the previous year getting corrupted. Here is the solution that works best

1. Go to X:\Lacerte (X:\ is for the drive your database resides).

2. Then go to the previous year of Lacerte you are installing- XXtax folder (XX is for the year). Ex: if you are trying to install Lacerte 2011, you should be going to the Lacerte 2010 folder.

3. Go to the Option folder of the year Ex: OptionsXX (XX is for the year)

4. Find the Prep file Ex: Prep.XX (XX is for the year)

5. Rename the Prep file- Ex: From Prep.XX to Perp.XX.old Save the change

6. Try installing again.

0 Cheers