Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot efile an old return for a decedent?

StknCPA
Level 4

Decedent's heir came to me. They need to file their decedent father's 2019 income tax return. Lacerte has a critical diagnostic that the taxpayer's date of death must equal either 2019 or 2020. This seems silly. (He died in 2021.)

I imagine this is a efile limitation, not a Lacerte imposed limitation. Is that correct? Although I think the year of the death has to be the current or future year, and 2021 is future to 2019.

If it is a Lacerte limitation, can it be overridden?

(I have never overridden a Lacerte efile error code, so the idea makes me nervous. When you override, does the return just go through, or will the IRS still reject if there is a problem?)

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

I remember discussions on this but the search function on this forum SUCKS. Try https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tkb/choosetemplatepage/board-id/diagnostics/search-before-po... to see if there is an article for the diagnosis number. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
StknCPA
Level 4

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that:

The following diagnostic is generating:

The year of the taxpayer's date of death must equal either {CurrentTaxYear} or {NextTaxYear}.

Solution:

For e-file it MUST be the current year or future year

0 Cheers

I have a similar situation.  In light of the tremendous processing delays with paper returns, I'm not going to list any DOD.  But I will attach the death certificate.  Filing paper would be an error due to the IRS delays and time required to sort it out.

JS
Level 2

I have the same situation. Need to file a 2019 when DoD is 2021.

Did removing the DoD to efile the 2019 work? Was it accepted and processed?

or

Did you override the DoD Diagnostic and still able to efile 2019?  was it accepted and processed.

With the back log in processing paper filed returns, I am hoping there is a way to efile

0 Cheers