Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada Pension

lancermc
Level 3

Client is  US Citizen. Worked in Canada some 20 years ago. In 2020 client decided to collect Canada University Pension Fund and some bank pension accounts. Canada deducted 25% of course. 

Does client report this as US income and take a FTC? Or is the income sheltered by the treaty? I have reviewed the Canada/US Tax Treaty and frankly it confuses the heck out of me.

Any help is appreciated.

Best to all as we navigate daily changing IRS tax reporting rules!

PS - I have a high net worth client who filed a 2019 return in June 2020, requesting a refund of well overpaid ES Taxes, IRS is holding the refund while the return is "in process", we cannot contact IRS by phone. Client does not need the money fortunately, but God after 40 years in the tax preparation business I have never seen anything like this. Its a bit unsettling to say the least.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

Tax treaties generally reduce the U.S. taxes of residents of foreign countries as determined under the applicable treaties. With certain exceptions, they do not reduce the U.S. taxes of U.S. citizens or U.S. treaty residents. U.S. citizens and U.S. treaty residents are subject to U.S. income tax on their worldwide income.  So report it as income and claim FTC (although this might require filing a Canadian return, because the tax withheld may not be tax owed).

IRS in its latest update said they have only 19,000 returns from 2019 left in the processing pipeline.  I don't believe them.  

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are we having fun yet?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/canada-form-nr4/00/5309... look at the statement by @itonewbie 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

Tax treaties generally reduce the U.S. taxes of residents of foreign countries as determined under the applicable treaties. With certain exceptions, they do not reduce the U.S. taxes of U.S. citizens or U.S. treaty residents. U.S. citizens and U.S. treaty residents are subject to U.S. income tax on their worldwide income.  So report it as income and claim FTC (although this might require filing a Canadian return, because the tax withheld may not be tax owed).

IRS in its latest update said they have only 19,000 returns from 2019 left in the processing pipeline.  I don't believe them.  

Szyper
Level 1

federal 911 streamlined filing 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

@Szyper 

Start a new question instead of tacking onto an old, unrelated one.

And use more words.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

You have to admit that the question is pretty well streamlined 😁

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

It is so streamlined that it looks more like a statement than a question. Maybe it was aimed at Jeopardy. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns