Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Lacerte Forms print with four digits, such as 2019 versus just 19?

Highlighted
Level 2

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Highlighted
Level 15

All of mine (well, all that I checked but that's a lot) DO print 2019.

Which ones are you seeing just 19 on?

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

My example used 19.  Here is a more detailed explanation:

Because the last two digits of the date – “20” – are also the first two digits of the current century, writing just “20” allows people to modify the date backwards or forwards with a great deal of ease. Easy modification may be acceptable – or even preferable – in diaries, school notes, or personal correspondence, but, when it comes to checks and other important documents, it can be dangerous, and lead to fraud.

Unscrupulous folks can easily change dates to earlier dates. If you sign an agreement that requires you to make annual payments starting one year after the date of the contact, for example, and you date the agreement “1/6/20,” the counter party could easily add “19” to the end of the date and demand that you make the first payment immediately, since the agreement commenced on “1/6/2019.”

Likewise, crooks can modify dates forwards. If you were the lender in the aforementioned example, the borrower could change “1/6/20” to “1/6/2021” or some later date, and refuse to pay you when the first payment – or first series of payments – should have become due.

Let's take the option away and simply use a 4 digit year

Thanks

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

Is it possible for Lacerte to use the full date format MM/DD/ YYYY on the 1040 page 2 preparer use only section.  The current format printing is M/DD/YY.   This is leaving the door wide open for someone to alter the Preparer's signature date of their tax return.  I'm surprised Lacerte is not using the full date format.