Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I return change based only on an update after it is complete??

dnewton72
Level 2

Hello - I am new to this firm and have ZERO experience with Lacrete.  I have been told that before we efile a return we MUST verify the tax amount due/refund on the signed efile forms match the amounts in the return that will be transmitted.  I have been told this is necessary as Lacerte can and has made arbitrary changes to a return, unbeknownst to us.  Can the return simply be locked once sent to the client to prevent such changes??

Can anyone verify?  If this is the case, what is your process to verify the amounts prior to transmitting.  What have been shown here is very time consuming.

Thank you!

Dawn Newton

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
IntuitTylor
Intuit Alumni

If the client file is not locked and we put out an update, then there is a chance the return can be altered. Locking a return is a best practices once you complete a return and prior to e-filing the client. To lock a client go to the client list and right click a client and choose lock return. Also I would suggest to set a best practice in the firm to never unlock the client and always create a copy if the need arises after the return has been set.

0 Cheers
dnewton72
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I thought of this but was then told that locked returns cannot be efiled??

0 Cheers
dnewton72
Level 2

I just locked the return and tried to start the Efiling wizard and it does not engage?

Do you unlock, then transmit, then lock again?

0 Cheers
IntuitTylor
Intuit Alumni

Yes. Unlock and send it off and then relock it. Here is a nice article on locking returns. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/locking-and-unlocking-tax-returns/00/4776

0 Cheers
dnewton72
Level 2

So unlocking the return prior to transmitting will NOT apply any possible changes?  Sorry to keep confirming, just would hate to make a procedural change and it not work as intended.

Thank you!

Dawn

0 Cheers
IntuitTylor
Intuit Alumni

It has the potential to. The main thing tax pros look to is to confirm the amount due or refund amount in the wizard matches what you are expecting.

0 Cheers