Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA wildfire treatment

11Buster
Level 4

Thought I would throw this out there again.  Has anyone filed an individual 2022 tax return yet, for a taxpayer who received a (substantial) settlement form SCE (Southern California Edison) in 2022 for damages suffered in the 2018 Woolsey-Malibu fire in So. Cal. We've already heard from CA FTB it is not taxable but (currently) is for federal purposes.  Waiting on a bill to make it through Congress to exempt also for federal purposes, but only have until October 16, 2022 to determine how to report on my client's tax return.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
qbteachmt
Level 15

Your original topic is still here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/2018-wolsey-fire/00/24045...

You can always update it, and not keep starting a new topic on the same subject. I will mark this one as Duplicate. It's the same audience as last time.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
11Buster
Level 4

That is not necessarily true.  Participants in this and any other forum tend to read the most recent posts, if they don't do a topic/word search.  By you marking this as a duplicate now prevents any new readers that would perhaps respond in real, present time, from replying.  Not sure who give the authority to mark as duplicate and thus take this out of the mainstream.  You defeat the purpose of this forum.  Please leave it the way it was!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Cool your jets.  Your post is still in the “mainstream”

As a side note, all you have to do is add a new reply to your post to get it back to the top of the heap.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Cool your jets.  

I think they've been cooling ever since that 2018 fire  . . .

qbteachmt
Level 15

"You defeat the purpose of this forum."

As noted, when you update a topic, it would move to the top, as the sort order is most recently updated. Not most recently created.

"Not sure who give the authority to mark as duplicate"

Well, that would be at Intuit's request and direction (they provide the tools), and the peer users volunteering to be helpful try to be helpful.

Making it easier for your peers to help means not making it harder. More than one topic on the same issue scatters the replies and if nothing else, I politely put a link to the original, so that anyone stopping in here to try to help, knows where you already have content and previously started the same issue.

Don't think of this as a prevention. Think of it as traffic redirection.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers