Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basis and excess distribution

here2learn
Level 2

Hello everyone!

i am working on a 1040 return where the k1 has distributions in excess of basis. I am taking the excess amount as LTCGs. I was wondering if i can take the same amount as "contributions to basis" since that amount is being taxed?

Thanks for your time.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Indirectly that's already what you're doing.  Say you have a $10K distribution in excess of basis.  Normal distribution rules would have you deduct the $10K from the basis of $0, leaving you with a basis of -$10K.  By correctly reporting this on Schedule D, you are adding $10K to the basis of -$10K to bring it up to $0.

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
rbynaker
Level 13

Indirectly that's already what you're doing.  Say you have a $10K distribution in excess of basis.  Normal distribution rules would have you deduct the $10K from the basis of $0, leaving you with a basis of -$10K.  By correctly reporting this on Schedule D, you are adding $10K to the basis of -$10K to bring it up to $0.