Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank details on the tax return

Highlighted
Level 2

Is there a way to force print the bank details on the tax return?

I have a client who has a $0 tax liability and no refund.

In order to provide bank details for purposes of the stimulus check deposit can we force them to display on the tax return for filing?

I looked in the options but didn't notice anything. 

This client will be paper filing their return. 

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
Highlighted
Level 15

No. IRS is working on a site to file this online with the bank info. I was semi-promised last weekend to be up and running "early next week". I guess we have guess which week is next week. 

Keep an eye on https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

Thanks for responding. 

Ah yes........there are the promises again. 

With this client paper filing do you think the IRS would accept the bank details added manually to the paper file even though there is nothing checked for a refund?

I'm not completely convinced it would process properly like that. Hmmm. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted

It's going to be months before paper returns get processed. Your client is probably better off waiting for an online system.

Highlighted
Level 2

Thanks very much. 

I will go with that and the return as is and watch out for the online system. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Highlighted
Level 12

But that link is ONLY for non-filers.  Filers who want to submit or change their bank information need to wait until later this month for a different webpage.

Highlighted
Level 11

The Los Angeles Times reported yesterday:

As soon as next week, Americans will be able to provide the IRS with direct-deposit information so they can receive their stimulus checks of up to $1,200, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told House Democrats in a call Wednesday evening.

Soon after Congress passed the $2-trillion economic stimulus bill last month, the IRS said it was working on an online portal that would allow taxpayers, once verified, to find out the status of their checks and, if necessary, to provide their banking information for direct deposit. Initially, it wasn’t expected to be done until the end of April.

Mnuchin spoke to House Democratic Caucus members in a closed conference call Wednesday. Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee also said the portal could be available the week of April 13 in a memo obtained by the Los Angeles Times.

The Treasury Department would not confirm the April 13 timeline Thursday.

According to the committee memo, the Treasury Department and the IRS initially estimated there would be 171 million rebate payments made through the economic stimulus bill and 101 million of these payments would have to be paid by paper check unless the IRS received direct deposit information for these payments before a paper check was mailed.

For those who already have direct deposit information on file with the IRS from their 2018 or 2019 return, the payments are expected to begin next week.

The new Where’s My Economic Impact Payment portal is expected to be similar to the Where’s My Refund portal that taxpayers can use to track the status of their federal tax refund.

There are two other options for providing the IRS with direct deposit information. File a 2019 tax return, or for those who don’t normally earn enough to file taxes, the IRS is creating a short tax form that asks just a handful of questions including name, Social Security number, and dependents and deposit information.

https://www.latimes.com/california/liveblog/coronavirus-live-updates-thursday-april-9#starting-next-...

Highlighted
Level 15

The portal for NON FILERS just opened https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

ex-AllStar