Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AZ Extension to File for a CA resident

CPAMomma
Level 2

I have a CA resident who works in remotely CA for an AZ company.  Received a W2 with AZ withholding & AZ wages.  He lives in a CA storm area, so CA & IRS due date is now October 16.  He will receive a refund from AZ.  How do I make Lacerte e-file a AZ Form 204?  I receive Fatal Diagnostic Warning:  e-file: When electronic filing an extension, the State of Arizona requires an amount due and for the amount to be paid electronically via direct debit. (ref. 52389).  I would rather not put $1 payment in to force the e-file if possible. 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Does AZ recognize the extension period? 

If not, you should advise the client to full pay any amount due to AZ with the extension.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
CPAMomma
Level 2

I doubt AZ recognizes our Winter Storms Disaster Declarations.  What my problem is, he won't owe anything to AZ, his AZ income is a fraction of his total income....very large inherited IRA distributions & his wife's wages are CA wages and his wife also has an inheritance with a K-1 coming.  Lacerte isn't allowing me to e-file an AZ extension with a $0 balance due.

0 Cheers
kgreen8393
Level 5

When all else fails, Paper file the no tax due extension.

BobKamman
Level 15

But that Arizona extensions is a full page, with four or five lines to fill out along with name, address and SSN.  Some people just really want to be consistent about doing everything online. Plus, postage is up to 60 cents, or maybe 63 if you don't buy it online. 

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seriously, Arizona recognizes a federal extension when no tax is due, and this taxpayer has a federal extension, right?  So it's just a question of whether a disaster extension is included in that category.  

I also wonder whether a California resident is taxable by Arizona in the situation described here.

0 Cheers
CarolA
Level 1

Doesn't AZ have automatic state extension when filing a federal extension like CA does?  

-Maybe file your federal extension (even if in disaster area) so that the state of AZ will accept? I assume no AZ tax is due. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

As that recent IRS notice about filing 2019 amended returns pointed out, what IRS does in disaster areas is a "postponement," not an "extension," although in many places the words are used interchangeably.  But there's nothing wrong with filing a federal extension today, just to be safe.