Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find series numbers for input screens to use Lacerte GL Bridge Software? as per sdk these are found lower left corner of the input screen, I couldn't find them

support1
Level 1

How do I find series numbers for input screens to use with Lacerte GL Bridg? as per the sdk doc in the below link these are found in the lower left corner of the input screen, I couldn't find them in my screens. Do I need to turn on something to see them?

https://accountants.intuit.com/support/tax/lacerte/pdf/lacerte-bridge-sdk.pdf

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Are you asking about the Trial Balance transfer function?

I'm not aware of this Lacerte GL Bridge software; I'm quite curious.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
George4Tacks
Level 15
@ChrisIntuit or @JasonAtIntuit may have an answer for you.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Are you asking about the Trial Balance transfer function?

I'm not aware of this Lacerte GL Bridge software; I'm quite curious.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1612365-lacerte-gl-bridge-software-developer-s-kit which clear states "*Note- Lacerte Technical Support will not be able to assist with questions or issues." but OP seems have a clear idea of what they are doing.
I agree with abctax55 - Why we would not use https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1629540-lacerte-trial-balance-utility-faq except that I thought I was Curious George

0 Cheers
JasonAtIntuit
Employee
Employee

Hi,

You can actually find the Series codes on the input sheets more easily than the input screen. Although there is a way to turn it on in the program which I'll also explain.

I've attached the input sheets for the 1040 module to this reply, but you can print out just the ones you need or for other modules following these steps:

To print out all of the series and codes used for GL Bridge:

• Go to Print > Input Sheets
  • Click on the Blank input sheets tab
  • If you want all of the input sheets at once, check the box next to US which should check all the pages for the module (but not state-specific). 
  • Print that (I recommend PDF!) 
  • Check out the bottom left of each page, just outside the border. For example on input sheet 3, you'll see Series: 5100 in the bottom left. (Pages 1 and 2 do not have a Series, as those use special codes you can find in the GL Bridge SDK documentation) 
  • The Tax Codes for a particular Series are the numbers in the 2nd column of the input sheets. (For example, Series 5100, the code for Designee's Name is 61.) The Codes are the same you would use in Batch Mode (Ctrl+W while in detail input)

To turn on an in-product display of the series, you need to launch the program with a special command-line parameter. You can either do this by editing the shortcut or by launching it from Start > Run. The parameter is /ShowSeries. For example: C:\lacerte\18tax\w18tax.exe /showseries

After launching the program, open any client and go into the detail screen (not 1 or 2) you wish to learn the Series of. Look very closely at the blue bar that divides the top of the detail input area from the grey navigation drop down menus and you'll see small text that says Series=5100. 

You can also display the Tax Codes in-product by right-clicking the dark grey bar above that navigation drop down area but below the Clients/Detail/Forms tabs, and choose Show Codes, and the codes will appear in the detail input fields. Alternately, you can input amounts where you want them, then switch to batch mode (Ctrl+W) and you will see the codes and amounts.

@George4Tacks is right about technical support though, our phone agents do not have any further information about the GL Bridge function as it typically is used by programmers and software developers, not end-users. I've been the main point of contact for GL Bridge developers for a few years so let me know if you have any other questions.

support1
Level 1
Is there anyway to debug the below transfer file as I am getting invalid format when I open 2017 lacerte?

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
  <LSCBridgeFile>
    <ImportSource>0</ImportSource>
    <Module>0</Module>
    <Year>2017</Year>
    <Series>
      <SeriesNumber>100001</SeriesNumber>
      <Prefix>
        <PrefixNumber>0</PrefixNumber>
        <Code>
          <CodeNumber>30</CodeNumber>
          <Suffix>0</Suffix>
          <Description>CA</Description>
          <Amount></Amount>
        </Code>
        <Code>
          <CodeNumber>2</CodeNumber>
          <Suffix>0</Suffix>
          <Description>Sanjay</Description>
          <Amount></Amount>
        </Code>
        <Code>
          <CodeNumber>4</CodeNumber>
          <Suffix>0</Suffix>
          <Description>Muppaneni</Description>
          <Amount></Amount>
        </Code>
        <Code>
          <CodeNumber>6</CodeNumber>
          <Suffix>0</Suffix>
          <Description>xxx-xx-xxxx</Description>
          <Amount></Amount>
        </Code>
        <Code>
          <CodeNumber>8</CodeNumber>
          <Suffix>0</Suffix>
          <Description>Software Engineer</Description>
          <Amount></Amount>
        </Code>
      </Prefix>
    </Series>
  </LSCBridgeFile>
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
@JasonAtIntuit Is this still permitted with all the third party restrictions on the program?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
@support Curious George wants to know why you are doing this? Seems like a great deal of work for something that can be accomplished in an easier manner. I think @abctax55 is also curious.
Inquiring minds want to know.

0 Cheers
JasonAtIntuit
Employee
Employee
@support I will take a look and let you know.

@George4Tacks yes, GL Bridge is still supported.

Also @George4Tacks and @abctax55 it's typically used by 3rd party software that creates the file to be imported automatically into Lacerte, but I know of a few people who have written their own programs or scripts to work on data outside of Lacerte and then import it. It allows you to import/modify more than the other import features as you have access to every screen and code using this method.
0 Cheers
JasonAtIntuit
Employee
Employee
@support for your example, you need to include "0" for the tags when you are importing client information. See this note on p22 of the documentation:

Note: All data values need to be written out to the <Description> tag. This includes text,
dates and numbers. The <Amount> tag will always have a value of 0 for client information
and subclient ...
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
@JasonAtIntuit ... D'oh :smile:    I was thinking *only* from a tax preparer standpoint.  Thanks.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
  Wow! Not a -1 for zero?

0 Cheers
support1
Level 1
why am I getting wrong format for below bridge file?

<client info removed - I will look into this and reply - Jason (mod)>
0 Cheers
JasonAtIntuit
Employee
Employee
Make sure you put a zero for the amount tag for any codes where you are entering a description. There were a few with empty amount tags, but it should be 0.

In the future, do not post examples that contain any client info.
0 Cheers