Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice on best place on Sched C for where to put what seems to be de minimus expense?

Eirene
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Client gifts?  Or you could simply go with "other" or "miscellaneous".

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Eirene
Level 1
Any advice on the best place on a Schedule C for where to put down what seems to be de minimus expense?  My Schedule C client is a daycare provider who spent $200 twice on flowers last year, once to give all mothers on Mother's Day and the second time for children who were "graduating" from pre-school into kindergarten.  I'm not quite sure where to put this expense down.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Client gifts?  Or you could simply go with "other" or "miscellaneous".

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Eirene
Level 1
I've been doing returns for about 7 years and my mentor taught me that putting items under miscellaneous can be red flags and trigger audits.  Is that your understanding as well?
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
I don't like to have a large number in misc, but is $200 large in this context?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
or even 200 x 2 :wink:
Now $ 40,000....maybe
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I avoid miscellaneous as much as possible but sometimes, you have no place else for an amount to go so I go with miscellaneous or other.  Usually I try to get creative and find a description that works before going the miscellaneous route.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Eirene
Level 1
- thanks!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Supplies?  Or even in *other expenses*, list as flowers.

And I agree,  $ 200 (or even $ 200 x 2 = $ 400) isn't going to raise any red flags.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers