Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a single person put her primary home into a LLC

Where do I report the home. In a schedule E?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

If it is a rental, then Schedule E. If it is just a primary home, then normal Schedule A entries for taxes and interest. 

I am curious as to the logic of doing this? LLC is for protection of assets. Wouldn't a bigger liability insurance coverage be more cost effective? Does IRC 121 exclusion exist? Is the lender going to get excited because of a change in title? 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

For a CA LLC what would the business code be for a primary home in a LLC

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I'm not curious at all because there is no logic.  Someone just went to a seminar and took good notes on bad advice.  And now has to pay the annual LLC for California?  Or maybe there's a Stupid Exclusion that applies.  

Still looking for the first case where an LLC was sued for negligence but not the owner.  As you said, if you're worried about liability, there is insurance for that.  

George4Tacks
Level 15
I wouldn't. Spend the time canceling this LLC https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/tax-news/may-2018/how-to-close-a-california-business-entit...
Are you starting by late filing the 568?

George4Tacks
Level 15

If you are really gonna do this - 531390 Other Activities Related to Real Estate

qbteachmt
Level 15

"531390 Other Activities Related to Real Estate"

Because the assumption is that Business is being done, of course.

Primary residence isn't conducting Business. It seems your client's LLC is renting the property to the client herself, so now you have to deal with this self-rental problem.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.