Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 year limit to claim Child Tax Credit (8812) and Saver Credit (8880)?

huli
Level 1

Does client forfeit the Child Tax Credit (8812) and Saver Credit (8880) after three years, similar to EITC and Refunds?  

I'm filing a return for 2013 (in 2019) & can't find explicit guidance on IRS.gov.  Tried to call, but IRS is not answering tax law questions outside of filing season.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, those are still valid credits to offset any taxes for that year.  However, the taxpayer won't be able to receive a refund from those credits if it is past the Statute of Limitations.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, those are still valid credits to offset any taxes for that year.  However, the taxpayer won't be able to receive a refund from those credits if it is past the Statute of Limitations.

0 Cheers
huli
Level 1
Thank you, TGB.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Normal statute of limitations based on 3 years from the date of filing and 2 years from the date of payment applies.  There are no special provisions for these particular credits under §6511(c).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
huli
Level 1
Thank you, itonewbie.  So I can claim the credits because I'm within the 3 year time period of *filing* the return.  This will be the initial filing of the return which is 5 years past due. Am I understanding this correctly?
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
No, since no return was filed, any refund would be limited to tax paid within the last 2 years.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
huli
Level 1
Thank you. I know I can't go after a refund amount.  I need the credit to reduce overall tax liability.  taking the credit lowers their tax due, but still leaves them owing tax.    
0 Cheers