Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21yo receives $7K in Scholarships, divorced parents

Karl
Level 8
Level 8

California

Girl is 21 in 2000, full-time undergrad student.

I do the mom's return. She gives me a 1098-T for her 21yo daughter: $0 in Box 1, $7,203 in Box 5.  Has maybe $K of other eligible expenses.

Mom is the custodial parent, but court order allows Dad to claim CTC (or ODC in this case).

Per the IRS ITA "Do I Have to File Tool?" the daughter doesn't have a filing requirement.

Does Mom have to claim this net ~$6,200 in income?

I could see a case for "Dad gets the ODC tax benefit, he should pick up the income" as well as "Mom's household was probably the economic beneficiary of that money."

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Karl wrote:

Mom is the custodial parent, but court order allows Dad to claim CTC (or ODC in this case).

Per the IRS ITA "Do I Have to File Tool?" the daughter doesn't have a filing requirement.

Taxable Scholarships go on the STUDENT'S return, not the parent.  So if daughter has other income, the daughter may be required to file.

The ability for the noncustodial parent to claim the child ends when the child reaches the "age of majority" (most states is age 18).

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

I think you mean she's 21 in 2020.  In other words, she's an adult.  

Have you seen the decree?  Most of them deal only with children (younger than 18, or sometimes through the last year of high school).  Some may include an agreement on who pays college costs, but apparently there are none here.  What support is father providing?

Results may vary for California.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Karl wrote:

Taxable Scholarships go on the STUDENT'S return, not the parent.  So if daughter has other income, the daughter may be required to file.

The ability for the noncustodial parent to claim the child ends when the child reaches the "age of majority" (most states is age 18).

Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Thank you. I clearly should not be typing these questions in that late at night.

Yes, age 21 in 2020.

And I misspoke.  Mom (my client) says Dad (not my client) is claiming daughter. I mistakenly presumed the divorce decree was still in effect over this.

I don't know how much support Dad is providing.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
0 Cheers
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Thank you, that's what I was looking for, that the scholarship income stays the student's, whether or not student is required to file.  I'll verify no other income.  Much appreciated.

0 Cheers