Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Form 1040 - Client phone # and email under signature line

GNJRox
Level 2

Please make this an optional formatting field!

Page 61 of Instructions to the 2019 Form 1040 states

"Phone Number and Email Address

You have the option of entering your phone number and email address in the spaces provided. There will be no effect on the processing of your return if you choose not to enter this information. Note that the IRS initiates most contacts through regular mail delivered by the United States Postal Service."

Annotation 2020-01-10 094609.png

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

you want it to print or you don't want it to print?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

I would prefer that it NOT print myself.  I hope Intuit does decide to give us the option to print, or not.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres a box to check for the phone number to print on the return (I dont check it though), I didnt see any place to control the email.

I dont want IRS to call and absolutely dont want them to email my client, I dont know anyone that would.

Im curious if that was  a screen shot that GNJRox posted and wants it to NOT print, or if its a picture they got from somewhere else and want their returns to look like that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Anna, there is a toggle on Screen 3 to suppress the printing of phone number and email address on the return by entering 3 on those two lines. You may like to take a look. Personally, I never include these. I don't want to volunteer more info than the IRS needs or is statutorily required to collect. Like Lisa, I wouldn't want the IRS to call or email my clients.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
And those same toggles are available in PTO.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Thanks Jensen.  I'm far, far away from finalizing a return & haven't even looked at the options. I appreciate you doing my legwork 😁

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
GNJRox
Level 2

@Just-Lisa-Now-  We DO NOT want this to print. I did take the screen snip myself. I printed (to pdf) a 1040 Client Copy out of 2019 Lacerte and edited the client phone number and email in pdf before taking the screen snip. Great observation 🙂

@abctax55 Agreed. As of now, it is not optional. 

@itonewbie We actually initially tried this before we figured out it is just on the new form in general. This did not work.

0 Cheers
GNJRox
Level 2

(I also removed our firm and preparer info in pdf, in case you were wondering)

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@GNJRox. Which tax product do you use? I tried to make sure it still works before posting here.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
GNJRox
Level 2

@itonewbie Lacerte 2019. 

0 Cheers