Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1120S Guidance on Reporting Forgivable PPP Loans

rambem
Level 3

I have seen threads here that address this issue, but have conflicting information.  Some believe yet-to-be forgiven loans remain a liability on the tax return, while others say that it is considered tax-exempt income.  I have seen no guidance from the IRS yet.  Has anyone seen anything set in stone on this or are extensions the only option at this point?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15

Why would you do an extension for that?  At least for the federal, it is tax exempt income so even if you choose wrong, you aren't creating a tax liability in the wrong year.  Personally, I'm going with the logic that if the loan wasn't forgiven in 2020, you still had a loan at 12/31/20 and the tax exempt income won't hit until 2021.

Slava Ukraini!
rambem
Level 3

I have a couple of clients whos' shareholder distributions will become taxable as capital gains if the loan is not considered income in 2020.

0 Cheers