Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-K

Client received a 1099-K for the sale of sporting goods which he owned personally.  As I see it the only way to report, and avoid taxation, which is appropriate, is to file a Schedule C and report the gross proceeds as cost of goods sold.

Setting up the Schedule C is actually misleading as the taxpayer is not engaged in a trade or business.  

Have any users come up with another solution?

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I would go that route, but instead of cost of sales I probably would use one of the other expense lines and type in something like cost of personal items sold.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

I would go that route, but instead of cost of sales I probably would use one of the other expense lines and type in something like cost of personal items sold.

Slava Ukraini!

Thank you.

Keith

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
QueenBee110
Level 1

We sometimes use Sch D, describe the property as "personal goods" or something like that,  check the box for Personal Loss, and "not reported on 1099B".  That gets around the whole Sch C carrying forward issue and does not involve SE income or tax.

0 Cheers

Thank you.  I'm not sure that treatment would prevent an IRS notice as I should think the 1099-K, and from the instructions I read, should be reported on a Schedule C, Schedule F or Schedule E.

We are going to file a Schedule C, reporting the amount on the 1099-K and then an "other expense", Fair Market Value of Personal Items Sold.

As for principal business or profession: On Line Sales of Personal Property.

this should work and not give an inkling that this is a continuing business operation.

Keith