Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1041 short year e-file

cschneider
Level 1

Can you e-file a 1041 final short year return?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Based on the additional facts, I'll stick with my "paper" answer.  Use the 2019 software and cross off the 2019 dates and write 2020 on the forms.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes - but you may have to file it on paper, depending on the facts.

Slava Ukraini!
cschneider
Level 1

I filed a return and received an error message that another return had been filed with this tax ID.  I assume it is referring to the 2019 tax year.  Now I am attempting to e-file the final year1/1/20 through 4/30/20.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

No... to efile IF you've already efiled a return using the same 'year' software.  It's viewed as a duplicate.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
cschneider
Level 1

Does that mean I am required to file this return by a paper return?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Based on the additional facts, I'll stick with my "paper" answer.  Use the 2019 software and cross off the 2019 dates and write 2020 on the forms.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

"... Now I am attempting to e-file the final year1/1/20 through 4/30/20."

so.... you'd have to use 2020 software.  Which, to my knowledge is not yet available.  Nor are the 2020 forms.  I'd suggest an extension, in hopes the forms *might* become available at IRS.Gov.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"