Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1040 page 1 and 2 release date

brabs2
Level 2

is anyone else having trouble downloading the 1040 first pages??  I am trying to plow through estimates and it is really difficult without those pages!!

0 Cheers
17 Comments 17
George4Tacks
Level 15

Here are the 1040 and 1040SR

For right now you can use the tax summary as a best guess for what the forms will produce. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
brabs2
Level 2

I have used Lacerte for over 20 years and have always had access to forms enough to prepare estimates with the current year numbers starting middle of November or earlier. So what if they are watermarked? I don't need them to efile, I just need them to help with my farmers and businesses end-of-year. This year for the first time they are not available at all, and I feel like Lacerte has my $9000 fee and I have nothing.

abctax55
Level 15

It's 8 days short of your post of last year.

Perhaps you'll get lucky and page 1 & page 2 will pop up in the (likely) update on Thursday.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

Brabs2

Have you used the 2021 tax planner software to prepare your estimates?

BobKamman
Level 15

OMG, look at what they've done for Line 1, wages!

brabs2
Level 2

I asked customer support that same question to see if that is the solution and they had no clue! I spoke with two different people and they were stumped. Do I have to pay extra for tax planner?

brabs2
Level 2

I just tried the 2021 tax planner for 2022 and it didn't help at all. For complicated farm returns you have to have the net farm income already calculated, you have to calculate the farm income averaging, you have to calculate the QBI, etc etc. When I get my software in November, that is why I use that to figure the estimates because on the federal I could always get pretty close to the bottom line. The 2021 tax planner is a joke for the types of returns I am doing. Intuit has really changed their way of getting out the software this year, and it is not worth what I am paying for it because this is a huge part of the way I do business, not by choice but because the farmers especially don't know what their yields/prices are until November, and then I can give them a month to scramble around shopping for equipment and/or breeding stock to purchase to help lower their net income.

Thank you for your explanation.

I bought it an hour ago. IT SAYS DEMO PROGRAM. That isn't right.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Why not just use the 2021 program? Not many changes, if any, going into 2022.

brabs2
Level 2

2021 doesn't help if I am plugging in actual numbers into the client's file. the line numbers are already filled with last year's numbers and especially in a year like this there are so many changes that you get bogged down trying to outsmart the software. I know you can save the original numbers and then erase the ones with which you are playing but quite frankly, those new numbers were really nice to have already entered when they came in to finalize their return. The way I was doing it worked really well on time efficiency and helping them get their income down before Dec. 31. I have so many clients and am doing it all alone so every minute counts, and Lacerte worked so well in the past. I am beyond frustrated.

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

It's going to be an exciting tax season, isn't it? 🙄

BobKamman
Level 15

Maybe you're using pay-per-return? Just copy the 2021 return, then open that one and change whatever numbers you want. Might require a closer look at depreciation. IRS doesn't promise Intuit the specifications and approvals it needs by mid-November. That's why Intuit doesn't promise us a program two months before returns are filed. You can't go skiing either, if the snow comes later every year.

0 Cheers
brabs2
Level 2

I prepare over 800 returns, alone, so I can't get bogged down with ANYTHING per return, including PAY. Why not just do what they have always done, just send out the forms watermarked so we know they are not final, but like I said before, it gives us something with which to work in the meantime. I don't hold them responsible when they have not finalized the forms - I just want what I had in years gone by.

BobKamman
Level 15

Try calling 1-800-CRY-BABY. What you want, and what's possible, are often two different things. I prepare projected current-year returns all the time by duplicating last year and changing the numbers. I'm an old dog, but it's not a new trick. And solving puzzles in a new way is said to be a way to prevent dementia.

brabs2
Level 2

Is Intuit paying you something to defend them? How about I withhold my $9000 until they fork over the product? Seems that went out of my credit card months ago. Believe me, I am no crybaby - I know very few people who can do what I am doing, and do it with the clients' best interests in mind. It's just that 12 hours per day, 7 days a week, for 12 weeks is a whole lot easier if I can rely on Lacerte to do what it has always done in the past - get me rough drafts of those forms in November.

sjrcpa
Level 15

I've never used the Lacerte Planner. I looked at it when it first came out and decided it was subpar.

I use BNA's (Bloomberg now?) Income Tax Planner. You can export clients from Lacerte. It handles complex situations and multiple cases and years. I don't do any farm averaging so I can't speak to that aspect. It may be worth your while to look at. I've used it for 30+ years.

Ex-AllStar