Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1031 lacerte calculation does not seem correct

stendec
Level 1

seller sells for  1,000,000 .  cost 700.000, depreciation 200,000-

he has mortgage of 900,000, --All he buys is one property for 100,000 as exchange.  I get taxable gain of 500,000

He got 100,000 cash on sale and put this 100,000 down to buy new property, all cash. 

lacerate calculates no taxable gain. where I am inputting incorrectly?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Look at the actual form to figure out where you went wrong. That's what I always do. The input is not intuitive - to me at least.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Look at the actual form to figure out where you went wrong. That's what I always do. The input is not intuitive - to me at least.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Why would he even do a 1031 exchange given that fact pattern?  What a waste.

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
It's not clear to me from the description of events that he *did* accomplish a 1031 exchange. I see lots of selling and buying and getting and putting, but no accommodator.
0 Cheers
stendec
Level 1
obviously, he did not do an exchange, but his LAWYER/EXCHANGE FACILITAOR says he did. Form 8824 line 18, just entering the items shown on Lacerte and also the form, do not seem to be complete.  what should I put on line 18?  Here is exactly what our Esteemed  Barrister wrote:   " sells property that has a 900,000 mortgage, but only a 500,000 basis on it for 1,000,000 and receiving 100K in net proceeds.  Then pays 100 K to buy replacement property for 100k, . 100 k of the capital gain from first property is deferred to 2nd property, the rest of the capital gain is taxed"     Then he continues " however if our guy used the  entire 100 K for the down payment on a 500,000 property, and financed the remaining 400K of the purchase price, then the entire capital gain is deferred onto the new property, (which will then have a cost basis of zero)"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

As stated, there really is no purpose to trying to generate the 8824. A straight sale and purchase of the new property would have generated the same $500,000 gain. 

Use Ctrl + W to see the batch input for screen 17 and it should look something like my image. I think you did not input the $900,000 for Old loans on property given up  (code 18) 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers