Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Files

Good Afternoon: I wanted to double check that this will work to transfer the lacerte files from win 7 machine to new Win 10 machine. Transferring Lacerte Files From One Computer to Another (Standalone Install)

Part 1 - Copy Lacerte Directory

• Copy the entire C:\Lacerte folder on the root of the local drive from the source computer to the same root of the C: drive on the target computer. 
    • Copying the entire C:\Lacerte folder includes the data, settings, and most the program files.
  • This may be done by using a crossover cable or an external USB drive.  Please consult your system administrator for further recommendations.
Part 2 - Install the Program
Tax Years 2007-Current:
  1. Click the Start menu then Computer.

Windows 10 computers: open File Explorer from the taskbar and select This PC in the left pane.

1. Open the Local Disk (C:)
  2. Open the Lacerte folder
  3. Then open the ??Tax (?? = two digit tax year), example -16Tax
  4. Then open the Setup?? folder. (?? = two digit tax year)
  5. Double-click the TaxSetup.exe file to initiate the installation.
  6. Follow the screen prompts to complete the installation.
  7. After the installation is complete, launch the program from the new icon on the Desktop.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15
Taxsetup in step 2 will initiate websetup which is what the website downloads and initiates.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Ex-AllStar
Thanks. I wouldn’t have to go to the Lacerte web site and start installing the programs this method would do it.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Taxsetup in step 2 will initiate websetup which is what the website downloads and initiates.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
coredump4
Level 1

Thanks for suggesting this process, it worked perfectly while helping a family member move to a new Win10 PC.

0 Cheers