Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing social security numbers

Ruth1
Level 4

I am preparing a Form1041 for a deceased taxpayer for which there are 10 beneficiaries. 7 of the 10 beneficiary's refuse to give their SSN. due to in fighting.

The attorney and I have tried everything but to no avail. Some have suggested I use "requested" in the field for SSN.  I happened to be on the phone with the practitioners hotline on another issue and asked about remedies.to this one.. After being juggled around departments I got somebody who said the IRS does not advise or give guidance as this is technical . She went onto say it was up to my industry (CPA's) to decide what to do but if I failed to provide SSN's I could personally be held responsible for preparer penalties. Has anyone run into this? Does anyone have any advice?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

But the key to all of these issues are quite simple.  Before any checks are cut to the beneficiaries, they have to provide their Social Security numbers.  No SS#, no check --------------- simple as can be.  If the attorney was in charge of distributions, I would put his name and number on the K-1s -------------- just to give him incentive to do it correctly in the future.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
IRonMaN
Level 15

But the key to all of these issues are quite simple.  Before any checks are cut to the beneficiaries, they have to provide their Social Security numbers.  No SS#, no check --------------- simple as can be.  If the attorney was in charge of distributions, I would put his name and number on the K-1s -------------- just to give him incentive to do it correctly in the future.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Ruth1
Level 4
Oddly they don't care about checks.  Bizarre I know.  
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
If you as the estate accountant needs to maintain records indefinitely, you can bill them for your time, $100 a month to do virtually nothing, until they provide the information. Pretty soon there will be no distributions, just accounting fees.
** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Not a bad idea, but I think I would go with $101.18.  The $100 dollars sounds like a number that was just pulled out of the air while the $101.18 sounds like it has some basis to it.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9

Send them a Form W-9 by Certified, Return Receipt Requested mail and document their refusal to supply their SSN.

0 Cheers
Ruth1
Level 4
We have done this, thank you .
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
What about a certified letter from the Attorney telling the beneficiaries that the required tax return will not be filed until they provide that information, and that they will be held personally responsible for the late penalties?

I doubt if this would be legal, but it would be nice if the lawyer could tell them that if they do not provide that information by a certain date, they will no longer be a beneficiary.  :smile:
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Same story/answer...

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/questions/1774833-social-security-number-missing

Did you change your user name from "Ruth" to "ruth", or is this just an odd coincidence?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
It saves Intuit a ton of money on toner costs by dropping the capital letter.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Ruth1
Level 4
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.  Pardon me for bothering you with two questions.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
"I'm afraid I don't know what you mean."  

@ me?  I was pointing out that two threads on the exact same topic is inefficient.
@IRonMaN ?  Jeff was just making a joke.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
@Ruth or @Ruth what is meant that you appear to have two very similar user names. One just starting asking questions and the other has been around for quite a while. Sometimes we meter our response based on what experience the user seems to have. Try to use this account https://accountants-community.intuit.com/users/205d1003-8c36-4a43-8276-1772c0d7004a instead of this account https://accountants-community.intuit.com/users/ba6c6566-9c18-42a0-8520-17fb678019ed

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Ruth
Level 1
Thank you George for explaining. I have no clue as to how I have two accounts. Perhaps when I updated an email? I will try and delete the second one.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
I doubt you can delete it. Change the name from ruth to something you would recognize, but not use. Or change the Ruth to something fancier. I am on about my 4th user name change so that my old stuff won't get caught. :wink::wink:

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers