Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales of a home $5000 exemption

B_A
Level 1

The client sold her  home, her husband died in 2019. Capital gain 539K. Isn't  she suppost to get the $5000 exemption on her tax?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres a 250k exclusion per person when you sell your principal residence if youve lived in it for 2 out of the last 5 years...is that what youre asking about?

Research IRC Section 121

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Theres a 250k exclusion per person when you sell your principal residence if youve lived in it for 2 out of the last 5 years...is that what youre asking about?

Research IRC Section 121

BobKamman
Level 15

No, I think the question asks about the $5K widow's exemption that was repealed in 1996. 

You can't get the message to all of the people, all of the time.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

1996 vs 2019 - that's pretty close.  Maybe the IRS will let it slide this year.   I wonder if they would be better off income averaging (as long as we are opening obsolete tax laws 😉 )

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I just had someone ask me about income averaging last week!

BobKamman
Level 15

They wouldn't have to income average if they would just reinvest.  

George4Tacks
Level 15

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
B_A
Level 1

Hi Lisa,

Yes, that's what I was researching! I typed 5k instead of 500k. I got it now!

Thank you!

0 Cheers
B_A
Level 1

Thank you !!

0 Cheers