Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to allocate non New Mexico salary when taxpayer is considered a resident for New mexico purposes

eeyore
Level 3

Never had to do a New Mexico return, mostly Virginia returns, so could use some help!

The taxpayer lived in NM for 270 days, so he is considered a NM resident per the instructions, but his W-2 reflects NM wages and VA wages.  I can't seem to get the program to pull out the VA wages, or get the program to reflect an out-of-state-tax  credit, which I believe is the way NM handles things.

Can someone familiar with NM tax filings help me?

Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 13

The instructions mean that he is a part year resident for part of the year; he is not a non resident.

PY NM, PY VA.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

so is he considered a part year/part year resident of each VA and NM?

you wouldnt get an out of state credit if youre part year in each state.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
eeyore
Level 3

From what I read in the NM instructions, he is considered a resident because he was in NM for more than 185 days, so he has to file the regular NM return.  As far as VA is concerned, he is a part-year resident.  The VA return is computing properly, but I'm guessing that I have to manually calculate the OSTC for New Mexico.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Did he move to NM? Or did he just work there for a while and return to his VA domicile?

Ex-AllStar
eeyore
Level 3

He lived in NM most of 2019, from 01/01/19 to 10/24/19. Then he moved to VA on 10/25/19, and still lives in VA.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Then he's a part year resident of each state.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're overcomplicating this.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

The instructions mean that he is a part year resident for part of the year; he is not a non resident.

PY NM, PY VA.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.