Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8997

mustup
Level 2

Will the new Form 8997 for reporting opportunity zone funds be supported by Lacerte in the individual module?  I don't see any indication it will.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting your first question. It does appear that this form is in the works for Lacerte and our development is currently working on it. There is no estimated time when it will be available. The site that @itonewbie posted is a great one to bookmark to see when forms will be available (currently I do now see that the 8997 is listed).

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
itonewbie
Level 15

The website for checking form status is down now but it should be published by the end of the month: https://lfs.intuit.com/#/s/US/I

The form is also included in ProSeries Basic, so there is little reason why it wouldn't be in Lacerte.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting your first question. It does appear that this form is in the works for Lacerte and our development is currently working on it. There is no estimated time when it will be available. The site that @itonewbie posted is a great one to bookmark to see when forms will be available (currently I do now see that the 8997 is listed).

TUCK
Level 2

Do you know what failure to file form 8997 in 2019 would cause if a client had significant amounts of gain deferred in 2018?

0 Cheers
TUCK
Level 2

Do you know what failure to file form 8997 in 2019 would cause if a client had significant amounts of gain deferred in 2018? I just noticed i did not file one in 2019 for a client as i was doing their 2020 extension.

0 Cheers
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee

Thanks for stopping by the community. Let me see if any of our Community Champions would be able to help... @itonewbie @sjrcpa @George4Tacks Would any of you be able to assist?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

@Kathi_at_Intuit  itonewbie doesn't come here anymore. He was driven away.

And I'm not a Champ. I declined the "offer" because of the strings.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

@TUCK  If you correctly reported the  deferral in 2018 and file 8997 for 2020, I would not worry about the omitted 2019 8997.

I do not see a penalty for this form and it was new in 2019.

Ex-AllStar
Kathi_at_Intuit
Employee
Employee

@sjrcpa Thank you for letting me know and thank you very much for answering! 

0 Cheers