Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic payment withdrawal

lyleKS
Level 3

In pre-Covid-19 days, when a client chose to pay taxes through withdrawal from a bank account the default withdrawal date was April 15.  Will the default date on Lacerte remain April 15 or will it change to July 15?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
George4Tacks
Level 15
overeasy
Level 1

I think the question posed - and still outstanding - is whether and when Lacerte will update the software to allow us to enter requested draft dates from taxpayer bank accounts for dates not between 1/1/20 and 4/15/20.  The software now returns a response that dates must be in that range in order to be a valid entry on screen 3.  Thanks.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Only the Shadow knows.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
joutfleet
Level 1

yes there was that notice but the program still does not let us set a later date on those pending.

0 Cheers
KT
Level 1

On what date will lacerte change the program so the withdrawals can be made on 7/15/20?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Holy 💩 Batman!  That's all I can say at this point 😭

Slava Ukraini!
Accountant-Man
Level 12

<<the default withdrawal date was April 15.>>

This might be true for Lacerte, but it is not required to debit on April 15, only that most people preferred it. 

I have received many a question from clients e-filed before March, whose debit date was set 4/15, yet want to know why it hasn't been withdrawn yet. 

You can't please everyone.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
lyleKS
Level 3

Exactly.  I know how to change the dates on scheduled payments for returns already filed.  However, what do we do with clients who are picking up returns now but don't care to pay the taxes, for whatever reason, until after April 15?  According to the help on electronic payment date, we cannot enter a date later than April 15 and for returns filed after April 15 the payment date will be the transmission date.  I shouldn't have to wait until July to actually file a client's return.

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

@lyleKS 

You give them a payment voucher and let them be big grownup people. Or you set a calendar reminder for either you or them to set up IRS Direct Pay no earlier than 6/15 (https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/payment?execution=e1s1 )

Changing the direct debit date requires action by the IRS - not just an announcement, but a change to the e-file specs. Intuit can't unilaterally change the e-file specs; all your returns would be rejected if they did.