Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyone in the Community that would like to share their experience in converting from Lacerte to Pro Connect Online. I'm interested in ease of conversion and use.

mdkappy1
Level 2

I'd like to consider a switch to Pro Connect Online.  I've been a Lacerte user for over 25 years.  I'm moving everything to the Cloud and this seems like the perfect solution.  However, I'm interested in understanding how smooth of a transition this has been for others as well as utilizing the features of the program.  Will I be disappointed?  Do you think that the program is as good as Lacerte?  Please contact me at either [personal info removed].  I'd only take up about 10 minutes of your time. Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I am a ProSeries user, so I have no first-hand knowledge of either program.  However, I do spend quite a bit of time on this forum.  Based on the questions and comments that I have seen on this forum:

• Yes, you will be disappointed.
  • No, ProConnect Online is not as good a Lacerte.

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I am a ProSeries user, so I have no first-hand knowledge of either program.  However, I do spend quite a bit of time on this forum.  Based on the questions and comments that I have seen on this forum:

• Yes, you will be disappointed.
  • No, ProConnect Online is not as good a Lacerte.
kristina
Level 1
I attempted to use Tax Online this year and QUICKLY found it was not for me. I have used Proseries since 2003 and was hoping that converting to the cloud would be a perfect solution. I was wrong. The system isn't setup like Proseries/Lacerte and not user-friendly for the experienced tax professional. I wasn't able to transfer my Proseries files to the online version. It took me almost an hour to enter a BASIC 1040. I promptly contacted Intuit, requested a refund and paid to renew Proseries. Hopefully in the future they will develop the online version to suit my needs. Hope this helps.
abctax55
Level 15

"...utilizing the features of the program"   That's where the disappointment may come in - especially since you are a long-time Lacerte user.

From what I've gleaned here, and on other list serves, the on-line version is still not very robust.  It does seem to be improving tho.  I've heard of folks using the on-line version for less complicated returns, and still using Lacerte for the complicated ones.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15

I have used PTO, but only to see how it works and try to help on the forum. I have NEVER PURCHASED a return from PTO. I appreciate the fact you can fully use the return and not pay unless you print or e-file the return. I has a large similarity to Lacerte. Totally different from ProSeries. It is clunkier than Lacerte, but it is based on Lacerte. It has improved tremendously since it started. It has a decent search feature. It has a jump to input feature from the forms. The organizer is new and apparently needs much work.  The ASK PTO https://accountants.intuit.com/support/tax/online/index.jsp?taxpro=true   needs some attention, but it can be helpful. I can see that if you are only looking at cost and your practice size has shrunk, PTO could be for you. 

It would be nice if @mdkappy1 would come back with findings. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IRonMaN
Level 15
Also keep in mind that you really are in a cloud with that package.  When you have problems, you can't pick up the phone and call for help since Intuit evidently didn't spring for any phones for that division. The best that you can do is try online chat.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Or George :smiley::smiley:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Charlotte256
Level 2
The savings in price will be lost due to the cost of headache remedies.
0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
That said, the last couple of times I have used chat support for fairly complicated stuff (both "I don't think this return is coming out right" and "I've managed to screw up my users for the new login"), the chat tech support has been excellent - every bit as good as phone support, and often requiring less of my attention while they were trying to fix things.
abctax55
Level 15
"I don't think this return is coming out right"  LOL....I bet they cringe when they see your number on caller ID :wink::wink:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
The last time I was trying to track down something, I was the one who was wrong. 🙂 (In my defense, I still think that the number in question should have been included in a different line, and the statement detail of "K-1 adjustment" is not my preferred presentation.)
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
They do now have some telephone support, IF you go PRO -
Phone support for ITO Pro customers is only available during tax season.  For TY2016 returns, phone support will start on 1/17/17 thru 4/18/17.  It will be available Monday-Friday only...no weekends.   
https://accountants.intuit.com/support/tax/online/document.jsp?product=PTO&id=GEN70962&src=ma

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Holy cow, they finally went out and bought a dial phone for support to use :relieved::relieved:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
FYI - They seem to have also purchased on for sales!! (844) 591-8071

0 Cheers
mdkappy1
Level 2

I decided NOT to switch to PTO as there were too many things with which I wasn't satisfied - i.e., organizer, modifiable cover letters, etc.  Plus, I didn't think that the program was nearly as robust as regular Lacerte.  It's kind of how I feel about QBO vs Quickbooks.  It's just not the same look, feel, and functionality.

So, I ended up moving my entire office to the Cloud - including Lacerte, QuickBooks, and a couple of other programs.  I've loaded up the last 8 years of Lacerte and data.  I use a company called Cloudvara for hosting and couldn't be happier.  Their Cloud functions just as fast as if it were in my office on a server - yet way more reliable.  Their tech support is instantaneous and extremely competent.

I use SmartVault for client data, tax return storage, organizers, and engagement letters.  It interfaces extremely well with Lacerte and the rest of my programs (Microsoft Office).

Finally, I've stored all of the data that used to be on my server (All prior years Lacerte data - going back to the 90's - payroll program data, documents, etc) in the Microsoft Cloud.  They give you a Terrabyte of storage with any subscription to Office 365.  If I need access, it's always there with a few clicks.  No more server maintenance in my office.  Paperless is the BEST!

springcpa
Level 1

How much does cloudvara cost? I would like to do the same thing you did. 

0 Cheers
mdkappy1
Level 2

Cloudvara is very reasonable.  I'm sure that the price depends on how much resources you need; i.e., RAM, Hard Drive space, computer clock speed, etc.  I suggest that you either go on their website or call them and they can give you a quote.  Best of luck to you and stay well!

0 Cheers