Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maine Rejection due to Schedule 1, Line 2(i) "Other."

tylerseiferheld
Level 1

Nearly impossible to trace back to what the "other subtraction" could be. Lacerte is generating the description as "K-1 Adjustment" but not allowing me to drill down to find the adjustment. Maine wants a more descriptive explaination before they will accept the tax return. Ideas on what it could be?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Is the adjustment material to the return? If so, how have you reached the conclusion that the Maine return was prepared correctly? Particularly on complex returns for less-popular states, Lacerte does not always reach the right conclusion, and it reaches the right presentation even less often. "K-1 adjustment" that can't be easily tracked down usually means there's something really obscure that Lacerte is even less likely to get right. 

The easy way to get that presentation on the return is to make an entry into the State If Different column on the K-1 input, but I'm assuming you'd have been able to track that down.

Looking at the Maine return, with which I have zero previous experience, my guess is that it's bonus depreciation related, but you really need to figure out what the right answer is and then force Lacerte to do that.

If it's not material to the return, or you've handled the appropriate adjustment elsehow, set up a dummy K-1, and enter the amount you want to get rid of as a positive in the State if Different column as the only entry on that screen.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Is the adjustment material to the return? If so, how have you reached the conclusion that the Maine return was prepared correctly? Particularly on complex returns for less-popular states, Lacerte does not always reach the right conclusion, and it reaches the right presentation even less often. "K-1 adjustment" that can't be easily tracked down usually means there's something really obscure that Lacerte is even less likely to get right. 

The easy way to get that presentation on the return is to make an entry into the State If Different column on the K-1 input, but I'm assuming you'd have been able to track that down.

Looking at the Maine return, with which I have zero previous experience, my guess is that it's bonus depreciation related, but you really need to figure out what the right answer is and then force Lacerte to do that.

If it's not material to the return, or you've handled the appropriate adjustment elsehow, set up a dummy K-1, and enter the amount you want to get rid of as a positive in the State if Different column as the only entry on that screen.

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
For instance, do you have an asset treated as UPE, linked to a K-1, on which you took bonus depreciation?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't know that there are a lot of Maine users visiting this place so it might be faster if you try giving support a call.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers