Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to put a message on the front page of a 1041?

rsb
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

1040 only. Not for 1041.

A sharpie works well, but only on a paper return. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
George4Tacks
Level 15

1040 only. Not for 1041.

A sharpie works well, but only on a paper return. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Irs knows an extension has been filed. There is no need to announce it on page 1.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Susan is 100% correct.  If an extension was filed, the IRS is aware.  If it wasn't, putting those words on the top won't make a difference.
Edit:
And...exactly what "professional standard" addresses this reporting?
I've been doing this for decades and have never put that info on a return; I don't think I've actually seen it on more than a handful of returns.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
rsb
Level 1
So it’s ok to do on 1040s but not on 1041s?
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Screen 3, just above "Organizer Misc" -  there's a box to enter *Form 1040 text*

Code 76, if you speak batch entry.

( Generic Comment )"
rsb
Level 1
I don't seem to have that. I am in Lacerte.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
oops...sorry, I read F 1040.  I don't know about F 1041, but if available, it would be on the "misc" screen.

@George4Tacks - any idea?
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
rsb
Level 1
Can we have them fix that? Or is that a triumph of hope over reality, as Shaw described second marriages?
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Sorry, I am still on my first, but you could add it to the "feedback" in the Help of the program, but I am sure it would go well down the list.
It may be that MeF doesn't have a code of such items, other than 1040. Maybe @IntuitBettyJo could find out

0 Cheers
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi there,
If you go to screen 51 there's a notes section that you can add a message to be included on the 1041.  It won't be on the header, however it will attach as a statement.  Hope this helps!
-Betty Jo  
0 Cheers
rsb
Level 1
No that just substitutes a less professional standard for a more professional standard. I want a return that says an extension has been granted and a date. I don’t want to type that in. I want it calculated and added and not as an attachment.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

As Susan said ten months ago, this isn't required (or needed) by the IRS.  They know.

So it isn't a *professional* standard that is being violated.  

I doubt seriously Intuit will devote any bandwidth to implementing something that isn't required by the IRS.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers