Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Donations

misskeiko
Level 4

Hi,

If the client provides a 500 dollars discount to school for its products. And it is tax deductible donation. Should I put it in 50% limitation Noncash contribution?

Thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

To quote a favorite participant to this community: You cannot write off what you did not write on. That's why you need to claim the full gross income, if you intend to claim the missing $500 as a write off, as well. Forfeiting a sale or selling at a lower price is not donation. In business, if you already took a credit for that cost, you do not also get a donation expense.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
abctax55
Level 15

I'd put it as a cash donation..right after I included it in income though.  And be sure to consider the impact of that on self-employment tax.

If you don't include it in income, it isn't a donation.  It's foregone income - with no tax consequences.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

To quote a favorite participant to this community: You cannot write off what you did not write on. That's why you need to claim the full gross income, if you intend to claim the missing $500 as a write off, as well. Forfeiting a sale or selling at a lower price is not donation. In business, if you already took a credit for that cost, you do not also get a donation expense.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.