Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone currently use a disaster recovery as a service / continuity provider. Ie datto

DHipple
Level 2

I am in the process of upgrading servers and workstations for a small 2 person office to be compatible with proseries and lacerte. As part of the package my it provider is trying to lock me into a 3 year contract with Datto to provide DRaaS. Since I have no experience in this, I am looking for information from someone impartial who does.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

3 years = two generations, from the perspective of computers. I would never sign up for something that long. 18 months is considered a generation cycle; things change fast. Only you can decide what is at risk, how much of it you want to manage yourselves, and what the service provider offers that is of value to you, of  course.

I keep multiple computers available, so if something happens, I can switch to another. I do a triple storage routine for safekeeping my working files: mirrored to two computers, saved to a usb device and also copied to the cloud.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
qbteachmt
Level 15

3 years = two generations, from the perspective of computers. I would never sign up for something that long. 18 months is considered a generation cycle; things change fast. Only you can decide what is at risk, how much of it you want to manage yourselves, and what the service provider offers that is of value to you, of  course.

I keep multiple computers available, so if something happens, I can switch to another. I do a triple storage routine for safekeeping my working files: mirrored to two computers, saved to a usb device and also copied to the cloud.

0 Cheers
DHipple
Level 2
May I ask, what do you use for backup and recovery?
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

For my own work, I mirror my working folder(s) to Dropbox, and that way, I can work on them from anywhere, and I copy from them to another computer, to keep two computers with current files stored locally. I try not to work on the Dropbox files, only using that as offsite storage. I also backup to a USB device that I keep in the office. I started the additional step of copying to Dropbox, when one day at the Post Office, I realized that the two computers and the USB were all within 3 feet of each other, and that would be no help if the entire office burned.

For my one full service contract client, I do something similar: I keep an entire working folder structure of their files on my computer, and it is mirrored to a Dropbox account I set up as owned by that client, at the end of any work I do. I also have it shared to me, and it shows up on all of my own computers. That way, even if they never hear from me again, they have their own files and access. This has happened to them and some other people I worked with; their contractor either dies unexpectedly, goes into the hospital and dies there, or walks away from the work, leaving no info. I start with the working files on my own computer, so that if the Board of directors ever decides to use those files, and affects them or deletes them, I still have that original work and can restore it. And if my own computer fails or corrupts their files on my computer, the Dropbox version is what I use to start over on a new computer.

That's why I keep a static working folder set locally and also run a routine that refreshes the Dropbox folder, as a separate storage location.

For an office server environment, having a "RAID" system helps. When the primary disk fails, you simply swap out the next in the chain; everything you did on RAID0 is also managed on RAID1, automatically. RAID = redundant array of independent disks (or SSD, nowadays).

Of course, if someone breaks in and steals your equipment, you had better been preparing offsite storage on a routine basis.

I've come to work and seen fire trucks surrounding the building with smoke coming from the roof; I've come to work to see where someone broke into the office next door at the top of the stairwell we shared, but they couldn't get into ours. Our door was sheathed in wood, but was a metal door as we used an electro-magnetic opener/closer. I think they figured it would be easy to force the latch, but the frame was metal, too. You could not tell it was metal.

0 Cheers
ehunter
Level 3
Our standard system is a raid 5 array for a local server.  On Site backup is through Veritas System recovery.  Off Site backup is handled by DATTO and through image backup to Citrix ShareFile.  ShareFile is an encrypted storage platform with unlimited storage and easy access for sharing documents.  We retain a backup server for redundancy on site and can transfer virtual drives as need should a situation arise.  I realize virtual machines are not supported by Intuit for ProSeries but as an IT person I have had zero issues with them over the years.  For VPN access we utilize an encrypted Cisco_Meraki VPN which allows us to implement RDP inside the tunnel so RDP is not exposed.  This allows the user of the VPN to have extremely fast access and not experience the standard sluggishness of the remote database.
0 Cheers