cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add 2nd M1PR Minnesota

Level 1

Married couple needs to file two separate M1PRs for Minnesota, not clear how to do this as "Add"  on takes me to a co-occupant screen

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
7 Replies 7
Highlighted
Level 11

Is this a joint tax return?  Why would two M1PRs need to be filed?

Highlighted
Level 15

Thanks Bill - I'm happy that I wasn't the only one wondering about that.

Remember - keep 6 feet 3.28 inches away from everyone. I like that extra 3.28 inches - just to be safe.
Highlighted
Level 11

After thinking about it, what if the spouses each live separately, and each has their own homesteaded house, but they file a joint tax return.  Would two M1PRs be filed then?

Not that I've ever encountered that situation.  😊

Highlighted
Level 15

I don't think so, but I have never seen that either 😅

Remember - keep 6 feet 3.28 inches away from everyone. I like that extra 3.28 inches - just to be safe.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1

In this case the husband is renting in assisted living and the wife maintains a home.  I get a diagnostic that says "assisted living' must file a separate return

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Ahhh, I see that in the state instructions.  I don't do Lacerte, but in any case I'm not sure how you would take a joint return and split it like that without just manually preparing the M1PR.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 11

I don't do Lacerte either, but in ProSeries I would "Save As" the client file so you have two client files.

Then ONLY file the second M1PR for the second client file (you may need to switch the taxpayer's name and Social with the spouse's name and Social so the proper name shows up on the M1PR).

0 Cheers