Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accum. Depreciation on Disposals

lstacey
Level 2
I disposed of fully depreciated fixed assets in the current period.  The balance sheet reduced fixed asset cost by the predictable amount, but accumulated depreciation did not reduce for the sale.  Why?  I don't want to override Lacerte, but it seems to be wrong.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

How did you enter the disposition of the assets?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
abctax55
Level 15

How did you enter the disposition of the assets?

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
lstacey
Level 2
I went to screen 16 and scrolled way down to General Disposition Information.  I entered a negative date for various.  It was a disposal, so no sales proceeds, and all were fully depreciated.  The date was the only entry I made.  Why didn't A/D decrease in the same way cost of fixed assets did on the B/S?
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Not sure....it (generally) works on mine.  
Try entering an actual date, or possibly the " -1 " in the field to "generate F 4797".  I bet one of those will trigger it.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
lstacey
Level 2
I tried your suggestion to enter an actual date, and I entered "-1" to "general F4797" but neither worked.  Great suggestions, though.  I just overrode the number on the B/S.  I don't like to do that but Lacerte won this particular battle, haha.  Thank you for your help.  Best Wishes!
fellow dog rescuer:)
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
What module?
Seems to me I've occasionally had the same issue...I'll keep it in mind as I work thru extensions.
Sorry none of my suggestions worked; I don't like overriding either.
We should compare dog rescue stories 🙂
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Is it 1065 or 1120S with §179?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
:+1::+1:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
kadodallas
Level 1

I'm having the same issue.  I'm going to override as well.  If you found a real solution, please let me know.  This is going to be my last  year with Lacerte.  It has been painful trying to figure it out and I've used this product for many many years.

PoeticTaxes
Level 1

Software: Lacerte

Module: 1120S

Facts: assets were fully depreciated by the disposition date, assets scrapped for zero gain/loss, assets listed on depreciation schedule/section

Solution: Screen 16 > "Sale of Asset (4797/6252)" section > "Form 4787" sub-section > "Sales Price" = -1 (for none)

0 Cheers